NHS copyright licence
You may photocopy, scan or print extracts from most printed and electronic books and journals so long as they are owned by or paid for by the NHS.
You can copy:
- Up to one chapter or 5% of a book, whichever is the greater
- Up to two articles from a single issue of a journal
- Within these limits you may also make multiple copies and copies of copies
Sharing and storage:
- You may share copies with work colleagues including via email.
- You may store copies for your personal use and on a secure network for access by colleagues.
Who is covered by the licence:
All members of the NHS workforce, including primary care and public health staff and students on placement.
Copies form other organisations
Copies obtained from organisations outside of the NHS are subject to different regulations. In accordance with the 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act as amended.
Copies must be for research or private study only. You may make*:
- One only copy of any article
- One article only from a single issue or supplement
- A single chapter from a book or a limit of 5% of the total work, whichever is less
- Electronic material or online articles follow the same law unless otherwise stated
The law allows copies to be made only for the purposes of “research or private study”. This excludes copying for commercial exploitation.
- Research covers any type of research, including that undertaken for commercial or industrial purposes
- Private study excludes use in a group, class or seminar context
How much can be copied?
- Journals – only one article may be copied from any single issue or supplement, this could include the discussion which follows some articles
- Books – no more than a single chapter, or 5% of the total work, whichever is less
- Pamphlets – for pamphlets, short books or reports, we can copy up to 10% of the total work, provided that does not amount to more than 20 pages
*This includes copies you make for yourself or any supplied by the Education Centre Library.
Please consult a member of the Library staff if you have a query concerning copyright.